Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Managing yet ANOTHER gym

And so… I am managing yet ANOTHER gym!
By marcogirgenti
Okay, so please excuse my absence as of late, but life has gotten a little busier.

A couple of weeks ago I became Operations/Consulting Manager at a great gym in Bolton, Ontario. This is the 3rd gym I have managed, but the first one outside of a large franchise. It got me thinking;

Susan is “Miss Fitness”, I call her that, (she would never say anything like that about herself), there is not a pretentious bone in her body. Yet, I find it fascinating that she has “the look”, the experience, yet I am the guy who has worked at gyms on and off for the last 3 years. Me, the former fat guy who could not step into a gym for three weeks because I was paralyzed with fear in the parking lot.

It took me a L O N G time before I felt I looked “okay” enough to begin coaching clients, but to wind up managing a health facility? That never occurred to me.

I can tell you this; managing people is a gift. The people who will not listen and are perhaps “difficult” employees, you know, the ones that others say should be dismissed etc… to me, those “difficult” types are the biggest gifts of all. They present me with an opportunity to grow and come at challenges from different angles. Is it painful and not “comfortable?” Yes, sometimes.

But to those of you who train hard I ask: “is it painful and not “comfortable” at times? Yes.

Isn’t that how you grow?

Indeed.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment